HomePostcards & PhotosA to Z, ships, boats, nautical themes

ADIRONDACK (Lake Champlain) postcard (b1)

£2.30
postcard,  not posted,  5.5" x 3.5", 140mm x 90mm (approx)
You will earn 2 loyalty points with this purchase

Product information

ADIRONDACK
Double-ended ferry built as the South Jacksonville in 1913 by Merrill-Stevens shipyard, Jacksonville Florida, for the Jacksonville Ferry and Land Company. Her route was between Jacksonville and South Jacksonville, but after a bridge was built in 1921 she was sold to the Tacony-Palmyra Ferry Company and renamed Mount Holly for service on the Delaware River at Philadelphia. In 1927 she was purchased by the 34th Street Vehicular Ferry Company of New York keeping the same name and operating between Long Island City and Manhattan. The company failed in 1936 and in 1938 she was purchased by the Chesapeake Bay Company and after a major rebuild was renamed Governor Emerson C Harrington II operating between Clairborne and Romancoke. Again replaced by a bridge in 1952 she was sold in 1954 to the Lake Champlain Transportation Company and renamed Adirondack. Her superstructure was cut down and placed on her car deck so that she could navigate the Champlain Canal and was reassembled at Burlington. She operates between Burlington and Port Kent and in 2013 celebrated her 100th birthday!

postcard by Forward's Color Productions, no. 07482, 
not posted, 
5.5" x 3.5", 140mm x 90mm (approx)
our ref: SRM111a

Technical specifications

Brand: Forward's Color Productions
Condition: Used
Product Code: SRM111a

Related items