CAMERONIA (Anchor Line)
Passenger liner built by William Beardmore, Dalmuir. She made her maiden voyage named Cameronia, Liverpool to New York, in May 1921 for Cunard. She entered Anchor Line service from Glasgow a month later. Laid up at Glasgow in 1934, then a troopship to the Far East in1935. Refitted 1936. After the outbreak of WW2 she made 12 unescorted transatlantic voyages, and was then requisitioned as a troopship in 1940. In 1944 she was the largest troopship at the Normandy landings. Laid up in 1945 due to mechanical fatigue, but re-activated and refitted in 1948 as an Australia emigrant ship. Purchased in 1953 by the Ministry Of Transport and renamed Empire Clyde. Broken up at Newport in 1958.
posted at sea 1932, corner knocks, other knocks/indents,
5.5" x 3.5", 140mm x 90mm (approx)
our ref: SRM948
|Brand:||Official / Company|
|£1.44official postcard, not posted, 5.5" x 3.5", 140mm x 90mm