company issued postcard,
not posted, minor faults,
6" x 4", 150mm x 100mm (approx)
our ref: SRH873
CITTA DI TUNISI (Tirrenia)
Passenger ferry built at Riva Trigoso that entered service in 1930 for Florio Italian Nav and becoming part of the new Tirrenia company in 1932. Naples-Palermo-Tunis-Tripoli service. Requisitioned as an auxiliary cruiser for the Royal Italian Navy in 1940 and in 1943 converted into an ambulance ship for wounded and disabled. Later converted to a transport she was captured by the Germans following the Italian armistice in 9/1943. The ship was abandoned at San Rocco, bomb damaged, by retreating German troops at the end of the war. Refitted as a troop transport in 1946 she was returned to Tirrenia in 1947 operating Naples-Palermo-Tunis. Radically modernised and rebuilt 1951-52, she later served on other routes and survived until 1971 when she was sold for breaking up.
|Brand:||Official / Company|
|£2.55postcard, 6" x 4", 150mm x 100mm