DROTTNING VICTORIA (Swedish State Railways)
Passenger and train ferry built in 1909 by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Newcastle, for Swedish State Railways for the Trelleborg to Sassnitz service. She maintained the service through WW1 but at the start of WW2 was taken up by the Royal Swedish Navy, rebuilt at Stockhilm and renamed Hjalpkryssare Nr 3 (Help Cutter No. 3) but her only contribution to the fleet seems to be laying a minefield between Sweden and the Aland Islans in 12/1939. Retuened to Trelleborg-Sassnitz in 1/1940 and the service not suspended until 9/1944. In 11/1945 a new service from Trelleborg to Poland started and she returned to Trelleborg-Sassnitz service in 1948. In 1953 she was given bigger funnels and then deployed between Trelleborg and Travemunde, summer only. Laid up in 1965 with some use as a freight ferry between Malmo and Copenhagen. Broken up at Ystad in 1968.
postcard issued for the Trelleborg-Sassnitz route by Hagstrom & Westberg, no. 3596,
posted, stamp removed, very minor knocks, writing on front, marks,
5.5" x 3.5", 140mm x 90mm (approx)
our ref: SREE1413
|Brand:||Hagstrom & Westberg|