DUKE OF CLARENCE (Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway)
Passenger ferry ordered as Birkenhead but the name was changed to Duke Of Clarence following the 'Sinking of the Birkenhead' saga. Built by Laird Bros, Birkenhead for the joint Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and North Western Railway overnight service from Fleetwood to Belfast. From 1906 solely owned by the L&Y Rly and moved to the twice weekly Hull to Zeebrugge service (summer only). In WW1 she served as an Armed Boarding Steamer, returning to the Zeebrugge service in 1920. From 1922 she was owned by the LNWR which became part of the LM&SR in 1923. Laid up in 1929 and broken up at Barrow in 1930.
postcard by Edition J Revyn/Nels,
not posted, corner knock, other vmf,
5.5" x 3.5", 140mm x 90mm (approx)
our ref: SRM885
|Brand:||Edition J Revyn|